2015 Pennsylvania Kayak Fishing Association Tournaments and Events
PKFA forum and Facebook page participants are encouraged to join the Suskie Bassmasters ($20 annual membership, includes member tournament insurance), but membership is not mandatory. The Pennsylvania Kayak Fishing Association is an incorporated division of the Suskie Bassmasters (501c3). Participation in PKFA tournaments will require an additional $1.00 fee for non-members, to cover individual daily insurance. Other scheduled PKFA events may not require entry fees or non-member insurance, depending on the event. Non-members are encouraged and welcome to participate in outings and meet-and-greet events.
Pre-registration for PKFA tournaments is not required, and participants do not need to be members of PKFA, PKFA forum, or PKFA Facebook page to enter.
Click here for the 2015 Suskie Bassmasters / PKFA Membership Form (mail to: Suskiebassmasters, C/O R. Rosencrans, 403 S Main St., Pittston, PA 18640)
Click here for the 2015 Suskie Bassmasters / PKFA Day Pass, to be completed for non-members participating in single events (Please bring completed copy with you to event. Blank copies may or may not be available at the event)
June 25, 2016: Wyoming Valley Riverfest Charity Kayak Fishing Tournament (7:30am, Nesbitt Park, Wilkes-Barre, PA)
July 16-17, 2016: 4th Annual Shickshinny Kayak Fishing Tournament (“Suskie Slamma”) (Separate kayak and powerboat division)(more information forthcoming)
July 23, 2016: Susquehanna Jamma Kayak Fishing Tournament (7:30am, Tunkhannock, PA)
September 10-11, 2016: PKFA Camping/Tournament Outing (Bloomsburg, PA)
For more information:
John Oast, PKFA/Suskie Bassmasters Kayak Fishing Tournament Director
General Suskie Bassmasters / PKFA Rules and Regulations:
Participants and Eligibility: Those under 18 years of age must be have a Membership/Participation Agreement signed by a legal parent or guardian prior to tournament/event participation. Those under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult while participating in said tournament/event. Non Suskie-members will be charged a $1.00 per person “Day Membership.”
Angler Code of Conduct: Anglers participating in any PKFA/Suskie Bassmasters event shall observe this code of conduct and the applicable rules for the event in which they are participating. Anglers shall at all times, conduct themselves in a manner becoming of all anglers that will not reflect unfavorably on Suskie Bassmasters, its members, officers, directors, representatives, tournaments, or sponsors. Anglers shall use their best efforts to demonstrate professionalism and integrity in support of the sport of tournament fishing. Any angler who violates any of the provisions of the Angler Code of Conduct may be subject to any penalties or combination thereof, deemed appropriate by Suskie Bassmasters.
Competition: A designated tournament official must be granted access to the competitor’s boat at any time during the official competition. Failure to grant such access may result in immediate disqualification. Each competitor agrees to report to Tournament Officials any violation or infraction of any tournament rules. Failure to report violations or suggestions to another competitor that they violate these rules or false verification of weigh-in forms will be cause for immediate disqualification. By participant’s signature on the official entry form, each competitor agrees to abide by all tournament rules.
Safety: Safe boat conduct must be observed at all times by tournament participants. Tournament officials have the right to delay, shorten, or cancel the start of an official tournament because of bad weather or other factors. Tournament waters may also be restricted at any time because of bad weather. In the event of an emergency situation, competitors should call 911 first then notify tournament officials. Competitors are allowed to leave the boat and seek safe shelter in bad weather where danger may be imminent.
Sportsmanship: Participants in Suskie tournaments are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety, and conservation. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be deemed cause for disqualification.
a) Use of alcohol or illegal drugs, by any competitor during Suskie tournaments or events, will not be tolerated and shall be cause for automatic disqualification from the tournament and/or all future Suskie events.
b) Maximum courtesy must be practiced at all times, especially with regard to boating, and angling in the vicinity of non-competitors who may be on tournament waters. Any act of a competitor which reflects unfavorably upon efforts to promote fisheries conservation, clean waters, and courtesy shall be reason for disqualification.
c) All competitors are bound by statutes and regulations of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, and any other municipality, or government entity with jurisdiction on tournament waters. Any angler cited by the PFBC during a tournament is automatically disqualified from that tournament. For team tourneys the team is disqualified.
d) Chemical-substance addiction or abuse, conviction of a felony or other crimes involving moral turpitude, or other conduct reflecting unfavorably upon efforts to promote safety, sportsmanship, fair competition, and compliance with tournament rules shall be grounds for rejecting any application for participation and/or for disqualification after circumstances are reviewed by Suskie Officials. Any disqualification, suspension from, or other disciplinary action regarding any tournament or fishing organization, shall be grounds for rejecting any application for participation in a Suskie tournament and/or disqualification from a Suskie tournament after circumstances are reviewed by Suskie officials.
Tackle and Equipment: Only artificial lures and biodegradable lures may be used, unless otherwise specified by tournament officials. Otherwise, no “live bait” or “prepared bait” will be permitted during tournaments with the exception of pork strips or rinds. Only ONE rod /reel may be used at one time, unless specified by tournament officials, and per legal statutes. Other rigs as specified may be in the boat and ready for use. All fish must be caught live and in a conventional sporting manner. Anyone guilty of snatching, or snagging visible fish will have their catch disqualified.
Basic Boat Equipment: All boats must meet all PA Fish & Boat Commission requirements. Boats may be inspected by tournaments at any time during said tournament. All kayak division participants must wear a personal floatation devices while on the water, participating in tournaments/events. All kayak fishing participants must have an audible signaling device (ie., whistle/horn).
Permitted Fishing Locations: All water considered open to public will be considered tournament waters, dependent upon tournament/event specifics.
Handling: Our goal is no dead, no stressed fish. Fish are to be returned to the water as soon as possible. Time spent measuring and photographing fish must be minimal. Anyone observed mishandling fish in any way will be disqualified.
Cheating: Anyone caught cheating in ANY Suskie Bassmasters event will be disqualified, removed as a member, and never be allowed to fish any future Suskie events. Violators will be subject to full criminal prosecution as dictated by Pennsylvania and U.S. law. Refusal to take or failure to pass the polygraph test – FOR ANY REASON – will result in immediate disqualification. All findings of the polygraph results are final.
Rules Committee: The rules committee shall consist of 7 (seven) members; three officers and four regular paid members of Suskie Bassmasters. The Rules Committee shall review and approve all rules and hear all protests. Rules Committee decisions on protests are final.
Rules Committee and Protest Procedures: By entering any Suskie Bassmasters tournament, contestants agree to submit a polygraph/voice test examination should the competitor be accused of any rule violation. Protests may be registered in person and in writing, before boat launch or after weigh-in and before awards are presented. If it is a problem regarding the length of a fish, the protest made be made prior to the end of the photo weigh-in process. Any person failing to successfully pass a polygraph/voice test in this or any other tournament will not be allowed entry into future Suskie tournaments. All contestants agree that in the event of a dispute or protest of any kind, or if requested to do so by the Rules Committee, all relevant participants will submit to polygraph screening. (A printed/complete set of Protest Procedures and polygraph/voice test procedures will be available during the tournament, in possession of the tournament director)
Membership/Participation Agreement Specifics:
1. I understand and acknowledge that fishing is a dangerous sport, the risks of which include though not exclusively, drowning, collisions in the water, and injuries from hooks and other fishing paraphernalia. I voluntarily assume responsibility for these risks, identified and not identified, and all risk of injury or death or damage to myself or my property or to others, including spectators and their property, arising from my participation in Suskie events.
2. I hereby release, discharge and agree to hold harmless and indemnify Suskie Bassmasters, guides, directors, the host, and tournament officials, and its partners, demands, actions, or rights of action which are related to, arise out of, or are in any way connected with my participation in this tournament/event, including specifically but not limited to the negligent acts of omissions of Suskie Bassmasters, its officers, directors, agents, and tournament officials, guides and its partners, and all other persons or entities associated with the tournament/event from any and all liability, claims, entities associated with the tournament/event, for any and all injury, death, illness or disease, and other damage or loss to property suffered by myself or others. In signing this document I acknowledge and agree that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged while I am engaged in tournaments/events I will no right to make claim or file lawsuit against Suskie Bassmasters, its directors, officers, agents, the host, officials and all other persons or entities associated with the tournament/event even if they, or any of them. negligently caused the bodily injury, or property damage.
3. I have sufficient health, accident, and liability insurance to cover any bodily injury or property damage incurred by myself or others as a result of my participation in this tournament/event. If I have no such insurance, I represent that I am capable of paying for any and all such expenses and liabilities.
4. I have no past or present medication or psychological condition that might affect my participation in the tournament/event in such a way as to cause harm to myself or others.
5. My signature below (on membership/participation agreement form) reflects and confirms that I have read this entire document, understand it completely, understand that it affects my legal rights and agree to be bound by its terms. References herein to “I”, “my”, “myself”, and other first person references shall include any child or ward for which I sign.